The test of time: banking union a decade on
Single Resolution Board and European Central Bank Joint Conference
Thursday, 23 June and Friday, 24 June 2022
The virtual conference will be a hybrid event, combining live speakers and an online audience.
Follow the conversations taking place on Twitter and Linkedln using #SRBECB2022.
For more information, please contact SRB-ECB-CONF-JUNemail@example.com
Times are Central European Time (UTC+1)Photos from the event
Andrea Enria, Chair of the Supervisory Board, European Central Bank
Keynote speech on banking union
Mairead McGuinness, European Commissioner for Financial Services, Financial Stability and Capital Markets Union, European Commission
Moving crisis management forward
The banking union was in part designed to manage banking and financial crises better. Will the current review of the crisis management and deposit insurance framework lead to a breakthrough? How should the resolution framework be adjusted to apply also to small- and medium-sized banks?
Moderator: Laura Noonan, Financial Times
- John Berrigan, Director-General, Financial Stability, Financial Services and Capital Markets Union, European Commission
- Elke König, Chair, Single Resolution Board
- Peter Simon, Managing Director, World Savings and Retail Banking Institute and European Savings and Retail Banking Group
- Irene Tinagli, Chair of the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs, European Parliament
Banking 2040 – a look ahead
Customer behaviour, technical innovation and new financial tools are changing banking rapidly. What will banking look like in 2040? Will banks be fully virtual? Will customers go completely digital? Will investors reward only the global and agile? How will supervisors and regulators adapt to the changes?
Moderator: Jennifer Baker, freelance journalist, Editor of GDPRToday
- Patricia Boydens, Innovation Consultant, Vice President FinTech Belgium
- David Martin Lopez, Partner, Monitor Deloitte
- Marilin Pikaro, Director of Innovation, Conduct and Consumers Department, European Banking Authority
End of day 1
Keynote speech ”The European banking union, from good to great”
Johan Thijs, Chief Executive Officer, KBC Group
Operational resilience – are banks prepared for the worst?
With the pandemic and the war in Ukraine, banks faced two unprecedented crises and relief is not in sight. Are they prepared for a multitude of challenges including implementing sanctions, strengthening cybersecurity and facing climate change? Are banks able to adapt their operations to handle what lies ahead? What can and should supervisors do to steer them in the right direction?
Moderator: Raymond Frenken, financial journalist
- Elena Carletti, Professor of Finance, Bocconi University and Member of the Board of Directors, UniCredit
- Elizabeth McCaul, Member of the Supervisory Board, European Central Bank
- Christian Ossig, Chairman of the Executive Committee, European Banking Federation
- Fernando Restoy, Chair, Financial Stability Institute, Bank for International Settlements
Elke König, Chair, Single Resolution Board
End of conference
This programme may be subject to change without notice.
Audiovisual notice: Images and video recordings may be published online.
Hybrid (Treurenberg 22, 1000 Brussels, Belgium and online)
Find out more about related content
The SRB Blog
Blog post on operational resilience by Anneli Tuominen, Member of the Supervisory Board of the ECBBlog post