Fifth ECB Forum on Banking Supervision 2023
Europe: banking on resilience
Thursday, 30 November and Friday, 1 December 2023
European Central Bank, Frankfurt am Main
Conference moderation: Conny Lotze, European Central BankSpeakers' bios
High-quality images of the ECB Forum on Banking Supervision are available via Flickr.
Conversation between Andrea Enria, Chair of the Supervisory Board, European Central Bank, and Jacques de Larosière, former Governor, Banque de France and former Managing Director, International Monetary Fund
Taking stock: the single supervisor ten years on
Banking supervision in Europe has changed. What has the Single Supervisory Mechanism achieved? What remains to be done? Are supervisors striking the right balance between intrusiveness and supporting banks when addressing risks? Has Europe succeeded in breaking the sovereign-bank nexus and integrating financial markets? Have the expectations of banks, markets and the public at large been met?
- Thorsten Beck, Director, Florence School of Banking and Finance and Professor of Financial Stability, European University Institute
- John Berrigan, Director-General for Financial Stability, Financial Services and Capital Markets Union, European Commission
- Ana Botín, Group Executive Chair, Banco Santander, S.A.
- Dominique Laboureix, Chair, Single Resolution Board
- Elizabeth McCaul, Member of the Supervisory Board, European Central Bank
Moderator: Nicolas Véron, Senior Fellow, Bruegel and Peterson Institute for International Economics
Modern supervision: what is key?
What key tools should every modern supervisor have at their disposal? Is there tension between supervisory effectiveness and transparency? How do we strike the right balance between horizontal and vertical supervision? What have the recent crises taught us about risk-based supervision, operational resilience and market communication by supervisors?
- Marlene Amstad, Chair, Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority
- José Manuel Campa, Chairperson, European Banking Authority
- Kerstin af Jochnick, Member of the Supervisory Board, European Central Bank
- Davide Taliente, Chair of Global Public Sector and Policy, Oliver Wyman
- Nicolas Théry, Chairman of the Board of Directors, Crédit Mutuel
Moderator: Naomi Lloyd, Euronews
End of day one
Michael Barr, Vice Chair for Supervision, Federal Reserve System
The new reality: banking after the end of “low for long”
Banks have shown resilience during recent crises, but will that last? As both customer behaviour and economic conditions change, banks will need to adapt to the new environment while also tackling emerging and unforeseen challenges. If banks stick to their old ways, will they be prepared to address new risks? To what extent will banking resilience depend on large-scale countercyclical policies by the official sector?
- Claudio Borio, Head of the Monetary and Economic Department, Bank for International Settlements
- Elena Carletti, Professor of Finance, Bocconi University and Member of the Board of Directors, UniCredit S.p.A.
- Stuart Graham, Partner and Head of Banks Strategy, Autonomous Research
- Jean Pierre Mustier, Chairman of the Supervisory Board, Aareal Bank
- Steven van Rijswijk, Chief Executive Officer, ING Group
Moderator: Maria Tadeo, Europe Correspondent, Bloomberg
The road ahead for bankers and policymakers
Bankers and policymakers will have to deal with some “known knowns” in the coming years, such as climate change, the digital transformation and governance flaws. But what are the known unknowns? Will supervision and regulation act as a brake or an accelerator? Will Europe heed the lessons of the global financial crisis and stick to its global commitments? Can the banking union survive, let alone thrive, in its present state?
- Frank Elderson, Vice-Chair of the Supervisory Board, European Central Bank
- Tuomas Saarenheimo, Chairman of the Economic and Financial Committee, Council of the European Union
- Christian Sewing, Chief Executive Officer, Deutsche Bank and President, European Banking Federation
- Irene Tinagli, Chair of the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs, European Parliament
- Sam Woods, Deputy Governor for Prudential Regulation, Bank of England
Moderator: Patrick Jenkins, Deputy Editor, Financial Times
Conversation between Christine Lagarde, President, European Central Bank, and Andrea Enria, Chair of the Supervisory Board, European Central Bank
Light buffet and end of Forum
This programme may be subject to change without notice.
A photographer will be present at the event taking photographs for our internet/intranet webpage. If you prefer not to have your photograph taken, please inform us in advance of the ECB Forum on Banking Supervision 2023. The event will be filmed and the video recording (or parts of it) may be published on the internet/intranet.
European Central Bank
Main Building, Rooms C2.01/C2.02
60314 Frankfurt am Main
Participants are requested to arrange their own transfers, unless indicated otherwise.
Find out more about related content
ECB Forum on Banking Supervision
Find all information on the ECB Forum on Banking Supervision in one page.ECB Forum on Banking Supervision 2023