Mogućnosti pretraživanja
Početna stranica Mediji Objašnjenja Istraživanje i publikacije Statistika Monetarna politika €uro Plaćanja i tržišta Zapošljavanje
Razvrstaj po:
Nije dostupno na hrvatskom jeziku.

Short-term employee

There are several administrative details you need to take care of before you start your employment with the ECB. Within the first few days of arriving in Germany you will also need to register with the German authorities and, if need be, open a SEPA compliant bank account.

The time it takes to obtain a criminal record certificate can vary substantially depending on your country of residence. Make sure you start this procedure as soon as you are sure that you are going to join the ECB.

Security clearance

Before coming to Frankfurt

Documents to be provided before the start of employment

Once you have been offered a position, please send as soon as possible the following documents for contract preparation:

  • a copy of your highest educational qualification (e.g. bachelor’s or master’s degree certificate)
  • certificates of employment or reference letters confirming your work history (i.e. confirming work periods and job titles), please note that the originals may be requested at any time during your contract period

Once you have received your employment contract, please send the following documents as soon as possible to the specified person and address:

  • the signed duplicate of your contract*
  • the privacy statement and security self-declaration form for selected candidates*
  • the criminal record certificate* (does not need to be translated into English)
  • a copy of your passport/ID card (please note that you will be required to show your passport/ID card when you start work at the ECB)

On your first day at the ECB, you will receive a notification with a link to review your personal data, submit your bank account details and confirm your accommodation details via the Start HR Process app.

Security clearance

To protect the institution and its reputation, the ECB employs only individuals whose criminal history (if any) does not call into question their capacity to maintain high standards of professional ethics in the performance of their duties at the ECB. Please submit the completed privacy statement and security self-declaration form for selected candidates and a criminal record certificate (which does not need to be translated into English) before commencing employment.

Please send both documents in the original by post to:

European Central Bank Security Division - Clearance, Sonnemannstrasse 20, 60314 Frankfurt am Main, Germany

To facilitate the security clearance process:

  • send both documents together
  • use your official name consistently on all documents
  • ensure that all fields are filled in
  • make sure your handwriting is legible
  • send them to the Security Division – not to the HR department

Useful information:

  • The time it takes to obtain a criminal record certificate can vary substantially depending on your country of residence. Make sure you start this procedure as soon as you are sure that you are going to join the ECB.
  • We do not reimburse the cost of obtaining a criminal record certificate.
  • Your security clearance will be granted solely on the basis of these two documents.
  • In most cases, we process security clearance within five working days.

Please contact us via e-mail if you have any concerns or questions regarding security clearance.

Have a look at the introduction to security clearance for more information. Security self-declaration form Introduction to security clearance


We will pay for your accommodation for the duration of your stay, provided that the distance between your place of residence upon recruitment and the ECB exceeds 50 km. 

You can either stay in one of the residences listed below, with which the ECB has special arrangements, or choose your own private accommodation. Please see Private accommodation and lump-sum for temporary accommodation for further information.

To ensure that only eligible colleagues can reserve a place in one of the residences, the ECB regularly provides the residences with the names of new staff members and certain details about their contracts. This also allows the ECB to comply with its legal obligation to provide initial accommodation to staff, as set out in the Conditions of Employment and Staff Rules.

Privacy statement for temporary accomodation

ECB residences

The ECB has agreements in place with the following three accommodation providers:

  • Apartment Residenz
  • Living Hotel Appartements Johann Wolfgang
  • Mercure Hotel & Residenz Frankfurt Messe
If you opt to stay in one of these residences, you will be offered a self-catering apartment (for single occupancy), which includes a kitchenette and a bathroom. 

The ECB will pay your invoice for the single occupancy directly, but you yourself must pay any costs for additional occupants or other non-covered items (such as meal service or potential damage caused to the apartment during your stay) directly to the residence. For this purpose, the residences may ask you for your credit card details or another form of payment guarantee.

You may check in up to one week before the start date of your contract and must check out at the latest on the day following the end date of your contract. Once booked, any issues relating to your stay at any of the residences should be taken up with the provider directly. Please contact the ECB if you have cancelled your reservation and would like to request the €1,250 lump sum for temporary accommodation instead. See Private accommodation and lump sum for temporary accommodation for further information.

Please note that your accommodation arrangements will not be automatically extended if your contract with the ECB is extended. In such cases you will need to take further action. Please see the relevant steps outlined on this website.

Cancellation Policy

The minimum period for your stay is one calendar month. Your stay will end automatically at the end of the period contracted with the residence.

If you wish to move out of the accommodation before the end of the contracted period, you can only do so at the end of a calendar month, and you must notify the residence in writing at least 14 days in advance (this also applies if you decide to terminate your contract with the ECB prematurely).

If you decide not to move into the accommodation initially but have already booked it, the following notice periods apply:

  • If the first day of your booking falls in the period from the first to the 14th day of the month you must notify the residence in writing at least 14 days before the end of the month preceding the start date of your booking
  • If the first day of your booking falls in the period from the 15th day to the end of the month you must notify the residence in writing at least 14 days before the start date of your booking

If for any reason you fail to cancel your booking in line with the conditions set out above and this generates additional costs for the ECB, the ECB will – save for justified cases – charge you the rental cost of your accommodation until the next possible date on which the contract can be terminated. Get in touch with your residence directly to find out about the costs involved if you fail to respect the cancellation policy when terminating the contract early.

Important information

The following steps must be strictly observed when looking for an apartment in one of the above residences:

  • Contact any of the providers listed above as soon as possible (i.e. directly after having signed your contract) prior to your planned arrival date and ask if they have fixed order apartments available. Note: it is extremely important that you ask for fixed order apartments only.
  • If the provider of your choice does not have fixed order apartments available, please make sure to contact the next provider(s) of your choice and ask for fixed order apartments.
  • If none of the above providers have fixed order apartments available, please contact the providers according to the above ranking (i.e. 1st rank: Apartment Residenz, 2nd rank: Living Hotel Appartements Johann Wolfgang, 3rd rank: Mercure) and ask if they have reserved apartments available.
  • In order to ensure that you can benefit from our apartment agreements, your booking needs to be confirmed by the provider, at the latest, 15 days prior to your check-in date.
  • In case none of the providers have fixed order apartments or reserved apartments available, please contact as soon as possible and at least 7 days prior to your planned arrival date.
  • Please note that non-adherence to the above guidelines may lead to the ECB being unable to assume the costs for your apartment – you may also not be allocated an apartment for your desired check-in date.
  • Please also note that you may be allocated to another residence if the providers named above do not have capacity.

For contractual reasons, depending on the occupancy levels in the various residences, you may be asked to move residences during your stay – this is especially likely if your contract with the ECB is extended and you want to continue benefiting from the residences. If this happens, the above procedures need to be observed again and consequently there is no guarantee for you to stay in your current residence. You will not be able to refuse an ECB request to move residences, except if you decide to move to privately arranged accommodation, in which case you can apply for a lump-sum for temporary accommodation (see below).

We wish you a very nice stay at your accommodation. Should you have any questions, please contact

Private accommodation and lump sum for temporary accommodation

If you would prefer to move into private accommodation instead of staying at one of the residences above, for example for family reasons or for longer-term stays, you can request to receive an accommodation allowance. You can inform us of your decision via Start HR Process app once you have joined the ECB, and by submitting a copy of the rental agreement in your name. If your request is approved, you will receive a lump sum of €1,250/month for your temporary accommodation. If you change from one of the ECB`s residences to private accommodation please comply with the cancellation policy outlined above.

Apartment Residenz

Börsenstr. 17
60313 Frankfurt am Main
Tel: +49 (0)69 968 6966-0
Fax: +49 (0)69 968 6966-20


Living Hotel Appartements Johann Wolfgang

Großer Hasenpfad 141 - 145
60598 Frankfurt am Main
Tel: +49 (0) 69 68 09 20
Fax: +49 +49 (0) 69 68 65 71


Mercure Hotel & Residenz Frankfurt Messe

Voltastr. 29
60486 Frankfurt am Main
Tel: +49 6979260
Fax: (+49) 69/79261606


Travel arrangements

If the distance from your place of recruitment to the ECB exceeds 50 km and irrespective of the means of transport used, the ECB pays the following lump sums on appointment of service (aimed at covering all travel costs):

Up to 500 km 500-1,500 km Over 1,500 km

EUR 397

EUR 544

EUR 686

Travel of dependent children and spouses/recognised partners

The ECB will not reimburse the travel costs for your family.

Useful information

There are restricted traffic zones/low emission zones within the city centre (Umweltzone/green zone) where only cars displaying specific environmental badges/stickers (Feinstaub-Plaketten) are allowed to circulate. The badges/stickers can be obtained for €5 at the Kfz-Zulassungsstelle, in the Bürgerämter in Frankfurt, at TÜV, DEKRA and from car garages. You will need to bring your car ID (Fahrzeugschein) in order to purchase one. Vehicles without an environmental badge/sticker may not pass through the green zone and penalties apply.

After your arrival in Frankfurt

Employment contract

Your contract specifies your period of employment with the ECB, your position title and working arrangements, as well as your gross annual salary and a monthly travel allowance, if applicable.

Net Salary Table
Salary band Fixed-term contract
Minimum monthly net salary*
Short-term contract
Minimum monthly net salary*
  Bracket 1
Step 1
Bracket 2
Step 1
Bracket 3
Step 1
Bracket 1
Step 1
Bracket 2
Step 1
Bracket 3
Step 1
A €2,841 €3,069   €3,707 €3,999  
B €3,084 €3,332   €4,018 €4,333  
C €3,432 €3,845   €4,459 €4,971  
D €3,960 €4,426   €5,114 €5,688  
E €4,611 €5,135   €5,914 €6,547  
E/F €4,611 €5,135 €5,828 €5,914 €6,547 €7,370
F €5,438 €6,114   €6,909 €7,708  
F/G €5,438 €6,032 €6,807 €6,909 €7,613 €8,505
G €6,380 €7,128   €8,020 €8,855  
H €7,699 €8,450   €9,462 €10,302  
I €8,282 €9,037   €10,111 €11,029  
J €8,938 €9,716 €10,772 €10,899 €11,914 €13,290
K €11,579          
L €13,277          
* Full time position, with deductions for social contributions: accident insurance (mandatory), health and long term care insurances (optional) and pension.
For fixed-term contracts, 20.7334% of your basic salary is paid into the ECB pension scheme. For short-term contracts, the same percentage is paid as cash equivalent hence the higher minimum basic net salary.

Health insurance

ECB health insurance

The ECB offers health insurance administered and re-insured by Allianz Care. The legally binding insurance conditions are contained in the ECB’s Staff Rules.

You can opt either to be covered by this plan or to retain your current insurance cover (in which case you must provide the ECB with proof of cover, e.g. a copy of your insurance card). You can inform us of your decision via Start HR Process app once you have joined the ECB.

Cost of ECB health insurance

A monthly contribution – a third of the total cost – will be deducted from your pay if you choose to be covered by the ECB’s plan. The ECB will pay the remaining two-thirds.

Cover for dependants

Your dependent children and your spouse/recognised partner (depending on their income) can also be covered under the ECB’s plan. It is not possible to cover further family members or other dependants under the ECB’s plan.

In order to add your dependants to the health insurance scheme you will need to submit the following:

  • a copy of your marriage certificate/recognition of partnership
  • evidence of your spouse’s/recognised partner’s gross annual income for the previous year
  • a copy of the birth certificates of any children.

This can be done via the Start HR Process app once you have joined the ECB.

Long-term care insurance

The ECB also offers long-term care insurance to cover the risk of extended loss of autonomy.

You will only be covered by the long-term care insurance, if you have ECB health insurance.

Cost of the long-term care insurance

A monthly contribution – a third of the total cost – will be deducted from your basic salary. The ECB will pay the remaining two-thirds.

Cover for dependants

Your dependent children and your spouse/recognised partner (depending on their income) can also be covered under the ECB’s plan. It is not possible to cover further family members or other dependants under the ECB’s plan.

Staff Rules: long-term care insurance

Accident insurance

Participation in the ECB’s accident insurance scheme is compulsory for all ECB staff members. It provides 24-hour worldwide cover against all work and non work-related accidents. It also covers accidental death and disability benefits.

Cost of the accident insurance

One-third of the premium is paid by staff members, while the remaining two-thirds are paid by the ECB.

Cover for dependants

Family members are not covered by this insurance.

Advisory service on non-ECB health and long-term care insurance

When you start working at the ECB you may have questions about your insurance. Should I participate in the ECB health and long-term care insurance? What benefits does it cover and how do they compare to my current plan? Should I include my family members? What options do I have when leaving the ECB? Can I go back to the national health system in my home country once I leave the ECB?

The ECB’s external insurance advisor, Funk Vorsorgeberatung GmbH (Funk), will answer your questions and provide the information you need to make a decision.


Funk can be reached by phone from Monday to Friday, 10:00-15:00 CET (hotline: +49 30 250092-911) or via email (


Short-term staff members do not participate in the ECB’s Pension scheme. As compensation, the ECB will pay you an additional 20.7334% of your basic monthly salary to enable you to keep making contributions to your personal pension plan.

Crèche and schooling

Childcare facilities

Many children in Germany between the ages of one and six attend Krabbelstube/Krippe and Kindergarten, although this is not compulsory. While by law children aged one and above are guaranteed a childcare place, it can be difficult to find a place. For further information, please refer to the section entitled Life in Frankfurt.

The ECB offers childcare to children between three months and six years of age for ECB employees with a contract of at least one years’ duration. Places may not be available immediately, depending on the age of your child and your desired start date.

European School Frankfurt

If your children are over the age of four, they can join the European School Frankfurt (ESF) in the pre-primary, primary or secondary cycle. The school has four language sections (German, English, French and Italian) and offers mother tongue tuition in all EU languages. As an ECB staff member, with an employment of at least one years’ duration, you are exempt from paying the tuition fees, but extra-curricular activities and meals must be paid for. You can find further details on the ESF’s website.

European School Frankfurt

Other schools

In addition to German state schools, Frankfurt is well endowed with a range of international schools.

Please see the section Life in Frankfurt for more information

Life in Frankfurt

Registration with the German authorities

Within two weeks of arriving in Germany, ECB staff members and their families must register their place of residence with one of the Bürgerämter (registration offices) of the town/city in which they live. This must be done in person. You do not have to register if your stay in Germany will not exceed three months. But it is advisable to do so if your contract with the ECB is likely to be extended beyond this time period (as it may help avoid an unnecessary fine).

If you are married, or have children, the original marriage and birth certificates need to be provided with the International Certificate or a certified German translation. If you are divorced, the same applies for the divorce certificate.

You will also need to present a letter from your landlord/rental property manager confirming that you are renting accommodation. This letter has to include the name and address of the landlord/rental property manager, the date on which you will be moving in, the address of the rental property and your name. Failure to comply could result in a €1,000 fine for the landlord.

Planning to live in Frankfurt?

A full list of registration offices in Frankfurt can be found here.

Note that you will receive a verbal warning if you only manage to register with the Frankfurt authorities between two and four weeks of taking up residence in this city. Thereafter, you may be fined. Fines start at €15 and the amount payable will depend on the length of the delay.

EU nationals do not need a residence permit

A German residence permit is not required for EU nationals. The Meldebescheinigung (the certificate issued when registering your place of residence with a local registration office, i.e. a Bürgeramt) – together with your personal ID card or passport – is sufficient proof that you are officially registered in Germany as a citizen of another EU country.

Visa requirements for non-EU spouses

Non-EU spouses planning to join an ECB spouse in Germany, nationals of countries for which an entry visa is compulsory (visumpflichtige Staaten), will need to apply for a D visa at the German embassy/consulate where they reside before coming to Germany. Please notify your HR contact at the ECB as soon as possible if this applies to your spouse. Our Staff Info Point will then try to help with the visa process by officially notifying the Auswärtiges Amt (German Federal Foreign Office). Further information on visa requirements can be obtained from the website of the Auswärtiges Amt.

Once the non-EU spouse has entered Germany, he/she must register with a Bürgeramt (registration office) together with the ECB staff member. Please then apply for a Sonderausweis (special ID card) as soon as possible through our Staff Info Point. With the Sonderausweis, non-EU citizens who are family members of ECB employees are entitled to live and work in Germany.

Visa requirements for non-EU partners

Non-EU partners are not entitled to a Sonderausweis. Unlike non-EU spouses, they must go through the normal process of applying for a regular residence and work permit at the Ausländeramt (Aliens' Office). The same applies if the non-EU partner can already live and work in another EU country.

Currently, non-EU nationals have to contend with a rather long and difficult permit application process. So you are advised to check what the requirements are with the nearest German embassy/consulate before leaving your country of residence. This could help prevent disappointment later on.

Bank account

Your salary and benefits can be paid into any account in the European Union, provided that your bank is SEPA-compliant. You can also open a bank account in Germany (leaflets on the various banks are available at the Staff Info Point in room HS 15.10 of the main building).

Many banks require their clients to register their place of residence at a local Bürgeramt (please see the section on Registration with the German authorities) before they can open a new bank account.

Your bank account details can be provided by completing your personal data via the Start HR Process app once you joined the ECB.

Public transportation benefit

On your first working day, you are able to order a ticket for public transportation – it is offered by the ECB in cooperation with RMV, the Frankfurt regional public transportation association, and it offers attractive discounts up to 38% more than regular RMV seasonal tickets.

Sve stranice u ovom odjeljku

Prijava povreda, tzv. zviždanje